Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Book List

Just a short post to say I've begun a book list related to the topic of Dementia and care giving. The first book I listed is a novel and I found it very inspiring yet sad. "Still Alice" is about a cognitive psychologist who is dignosed with early onset Altzheimer's and is written from her perspective. Even though it is fiction, I felt like it gave be a window into Alma's mind and I really feel a need for that sometimes. I often find myself forgetting (especially in the beginning) that she has no idea what she is doing when she is being what I percieve as hurtful. I found this book a helpful reminder that her anger is a result of extreme fear of her surroundings as they become less and less familiar. Anyway, I highly recommend this book. More later...

7 comments:

  1. THANKS FOR SHARING, ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN DO TO GAIN MORE INSIGHT IS A BLESSING WHETHER OR NOT IT IS FICTION. DAD AND I SAW A GREAT MOVIE A WHILE BACK STARING JULIE CHRISTIE AS A BRILLANT WOMAN WHO BECAME AFFLICTED WITH THE DISEASE AND HOW IF IMPACTED HER AND HER HUSBAND. CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME, BUT DEFINITELY WORTH SEEING.
    BLESSINGS AND LOVE,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay...i'll look for that. love you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. LISE,
    LOOKED IT UP AND IT IS A 2007 FILM ENTITLED "AWAY FROM HER". IT PROBABLY IS OUT IN DVD OR CAN BE RENTED; DEFINITELY WORTH SEEING.
    BLESSINGS AND LOVE,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lise,
    After reading Jo's comment,I looked the film up also. So, I sent you an E-mail with the plot and characters.

    My precious daughter, your gift of feeling for others has another side of the coin,vulnerability. (& as you know,that can hurt.)

    Those of us who are sensitive to others also become hurt easily,but I don't think that we can have one trait and not the other.

    Jo and I are so very proud of you. It takes great courage and deep love in order for you to help Alma.

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both. I will look for the movie. You are so sweet. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo's comment reminded me of another stunning movie that deals with alzheimer's disease--it's called Iris, stars Judi Dench & Kate Winslet. It's about the Irish writer, Iris Murdoch. I saw it a few years ago--was quite moving.

    k

    ReplyDelete