Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I picked up Alma fairly early this morning. As soon as we walked out of the front door, Alma opened her arms wide, took a deep breath and said, "Oh, it smells so fresh out here!" as if she had been in prison for the last 10 years. It must have felt that way to her. It was a pretty uneventful move out and I want to add that the staff at Emeritus was amazing. Everyone there was warm, friendly and seemed to genuinely care about the resident's well-being.

 The hardest part of moving her out was finding all of her stuff. It is already an issue that Alma stashes things all over the place. Imagine that times twenty residents. However, the staff helped us track everything down. I do have one tiny complaint about Alma's care. I do not believe that anyone really helped her with hygiene the way we do at home. As soon as she smiled I knew she hadn't brushed her teeth in days and that was confirmed with I saw that her toothbrush was unused and all of the denture tablets I packed were still in there. This may have been something we are responsible for notifying that she needs additional assistance with. Nonetheless, all of her laundry was washed and folded and I greatly appreciate that.

5 comments:

  1. GLAD THE TRANSITION WAS UNEVENTFUL AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL ADJUST OK AT HOME. IN DEFERENCE TO THE CAREGIVERS, ALMA MAY LOOK SO SELF SUFFICIENT THAT THEY DID NOT THINK TO DO THINGS LIKE THE TEETH. THE FACT THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHIUNG ELSE LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THEY WERE QUITE SINCERE.
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course. I emailed the director and he was more upset about it than I was. I'm sure that they will do better next time. I'm not so worried about it as long as they are nice to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GLAD YOU COMMUNICATED THIS AND THAT THEY WERE RESPONSIVE; AT LEAST YOU KNOW THAT EVERYONE WILL BE ON THE SAME PAGE FOR THE FUTURE. HOW IS SHE DOING BACK AT HOME? HOPE ALL IS RELATIVELY CALM AND PEACEFUL. YOU ARE IN MY HEART.
    JO
    PS MIKE E-MAILED THE PICTURES, REALLY ENOYED SEEING THEM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lise,
    You,your Mom & the girls look so similar at certain stages. Really enjoyed the pictures!

    I'm very proud of you!

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a wonderful time and Mike did a great job with that tear jerker of a slide show. So happy you got to see it.

    Back to Alma's care at the assisted living place: I am going to submit a list of what we believe she needs help with. I understand that they can't oversee everything but for the amount of money that they are being paid, I expect a lot more (I know I'm super picky-this is true). Love you both.

    ReplyDelete