Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Checking In

I am planning to pick up Alma from the assisted living center first thing tomorrow morning. As promised, I called and checked in with her while I was away. Nonetheless, I realized quickly that this may have been a mistake. I spoke with staff first and was told she was doing really well and adjusting fine (she wasn't asking for us). They also said she had visitors and I am grateful for that. When she got on the phone, she said, “is this the real Lise?’ I’m not really sure what she meant by that unless there has been someone trying to pose as me in my absence. She also asked if I would pick her up soon and that broke my heart. I told her I’d be there Wednesday but I’m sure she has no idea what that means. I am concerned that I might have made things worse and opted not to call her again over the weekend.  

I will share that it has been very nice to have a break. I am struggling with some guilt over that. However, I realize that these breaks are vital to giving good care and I am grateful for the opportunity. I am aware that there are many caretakers out there who either opt out of taking time or are simply unable to do so. Due to the fact that we had to purchase a whole month of respite, I will be using all four weeks over the next couple of months so I can travel a bit this summer. I suppose I will have to work through some of that guilt as a part of that.  

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME BACK; HOPE ALL WENT WELL AND THAT YOU HAD A GREAT TIME. PERHAPS, FOR THE NEXT TIME IT MIGHT BE BETTER TO CHECK IN ONLY WITH STAFF AND NOT ASK TO TALK TO HER AS THIS WOULD TEND TO ADD TO CONFUSION AS SHE SEEMS TO HAVE LOST A TIME CONCEPT. JUST A THOUGHT SINCE YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE MORE TIME OFF WHICH I APPLAUD YOU FOR DOING.
    KEEP FLYING THE SHIP.
    LOVE ALWAYS,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi My Precious Daughter,

    Your feelings are very important whether these are the "guilt"or other emotions. Having been repressive,suppressive and compulsive at various stages of my life,I've always found that my own feelings and dreams are filled with potential wisdom.

    You are my special most sensitive and beautiful daughter. Keep being you! Jo and I are very proud of you!

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete