Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kick Ball

Alma was not very happy to see me this morning when I brought in some pictures for her "life collage". The director (whom I love so much-she is really awesome!!!) took me back to the community room where the residents were playing kickball. Their version of kick ball was sitting in a circle and kicking a giant exercise ball to one another. I waved to her and she looked irritated as she kicked the ball really hard right at me. I kicked it back and went to sit down with her. I asked how she was doing and shesaid, "fine, but I'm not elderly like these people", as she proceeded to praise those around her for doing a "good job" kicking the ball. Next she made me put in writing that I would be back next Wednesday to get her. I did that and added my phone number and she put the paper in her pocket.

Susan (the director) shared with me on the way out that it is a good sign that she didn't just jump up when I came in but I feel like she's pretty angry with me right now (I can't blame her). She said Alma is doing really well and she doesn't usually get such a good reaction from residents who are so high functioning. Thus, I left feeling that she is in good hands and will be well cared for. I did hear from a couple of her friends that are going to go and visit her while she is there. I think that will help a lot.

I probably will wait until she gets back and acclimated before I post anything. Hopefully, her time there will be fairly uneventful and I can just report that she had a great time.

2 comments:

  1. UNDERSTANDABLE THAT SHE WOULD REACT THIS WAY AND YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE SOME ADJUSTMENTS NEXT WEEK ALSO. THE GOOD THING IS THE DIRECTOR IS POSITIVE.
    JUST ENJOY THE TIME AWAY AND LET NEXT WEEK TAKE CARE OF TTSELF
    LOVE
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lise,

    May the afterglow of the family reunion for your Mom's 70th remain with you along with the love of your spouse,daughters and friends! May you feel our hearts,our love,our spirits and our presence through the vastness of geographical separation.

    Jo and I are very proud of you and of your mature rising above Alma's anger.

    Forever,

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete