Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Swim Meets, Ceremonies and Our Busy Lives

The last week has been full of events for our family. Most of these special occasions occurred in the evening and the fact that Alma prefers to go to bed between 4pm and 6pm has made her routine difficult. Because she is such an easy going individual, everything went as planned and we made it to all of our events without incident.

It's amazing how much our lives have changed in the last several months since she has been living with us. We didn't really consider how difficult it would be just going out for dinner after a softball game or simply going to a party. Alma has always stated that she really doesn't care for socializing and we have had to adjust our social lives accordingly. She is easily overwhelmed in a crowd and was especially stressed out at our daughter's eighth grade "graduation" where 158 families were packed in an auditorium designed to seat no more than 400 people. She completely shuts down when faced with too much stimuli and becomes almost immobile. Her brain just doesn't seem to be able to tell her body where to go next. I have no idea what people must perceive as they see us leading a perfectly normal looking adult woman through a crowd like a toddler.

Another challenge is that both of our children are on a swim team together. Part of being on the team is a commitment from parents to volunteer to do various jobs to keep things running smoothly (the only paid workers are coaches). Even though I have expressed to organizers that one of us has to constantly supervise Alma, people just don't seem to understand. They look at her and talk with her and she presents very well. However, the moment she is left alone, it seems that she forgets where she is and many times will become confused and wander. The fact that Keith and I have always been willing to do more than our share at these swim meets has inspired organizers to always want to grab one of us to fill in when there’s a need. Last night was no exception. Keith was busy doing his part as a parent volunteer and I was hanging out with Alma watching my girls swim when a coach grabbed me to help time while one of the scheduled timers went to swim in their heat. I am usually more than happy to help out but when I said I needed to stay with Alma, she gave me an exasperated look and I caved. I took Alma over to sit near Keith and went down to time for what was supposed to be five minutes. After 25 minutes, I explained to my partner that someone was going to have to take over and she responded curtly, “She will be right back! She is swimming!”. The "swimmer" had actually been finished swimming for fifteen minutes and was nowhere in sight. By the time she came back, I was pretty irritated and frustrated and more than likely, it showed. The point here is that it seems I have been presented an opportunity to maintain better boundaries than I have in the past. It seems that my need to do everything for everyone is being overshadowed by the great responsibility that I have signed up for and that is not a bad thing at all. For a long time I have needed to know when to say when and our situation here makes it impossible to avoid. Thus, we have another example of the way that Alma has had a positive impact on our lives by being with us.  I wish I could somehow make her understand this but since I can’t, I will use this opportunity to say thank you, Alma.

8 comments:

  1. I LIKE TO THINK THAT IN HER OWN WAY AND IN GOD'S GOOD TIME ALMA WILL INTERNALIZE THE "THANK YOU" AND REALIZE THAT SHE HAS HAD QUITE AN IMPACT IN HELPING YOU SET THE NECESSARY BOUNDARIES FOR YOUR SELF.
    IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING WHEN OUTSIDERS DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT OUTWARD APPEARANCES ARE NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF WHAT IS GOING ON.
    I CAN REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE LIVING IN LAS CRUCES AND I WAS JUST STARTING TO WALK AND DRIVE AFTER BEING AN INVALID BACK IN NJ. I PULLED INTO A HANDICAPPED PARKING SPOT, HUNG MY PLACKARD UP AND A FEW PASSERS BY WERE MAKINBG COMMENTS TO EACH OTHER REGARDING WHY SUCH A YOUNG HEALTHY LOOKING INDIVIDUAL WOULD TAKE UP A HANDICAPPED SPOT. OF COURSE THEY WERE ONLY SEEING ME FROM THE WINDSHIELD OF THE CAR.
    THE EXPRESSIONS ON THEIR FACES CHANGED AND THEY GOT VERY RED WHEN I GOT OUT OF THE CAR AND NEEDED 2 CANES TO GET AROUND.SO THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY APPEAR TO BE.
    AS ALWAYS, I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU.
    LOVE AND MORE,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lise,
    The only way that some people can feign quality is to criticize others.Those who criticize you,most likely, are not what they appear to be either.

    By putting you down, they find their only way to demonstrate achievement.

    You are wonderful. I'm proud that you are my daughter. Jo is very proud also. Keep up the good work!!!

    Love Forever

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lise

    Good for you for finding the positive message/lesson in all of this. There is much value in learning to balance our control of our personal boundaries! Good for you! Alma is so fortunate to have you in her life!

    Love,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lise, I have know Alma and her family since 1980. I moved away after getting married in 1990. I want to thank you so much for doing this blog so that those of us who love her still can keep up with her. You are doing a good thing by loving and caring for your family and she is your familyj also. Plese take care of yourself as you venture down this pathway you have chosen. You will need your quite moments yourself. I do hope Keith is helping you with Alma. I can remember when the two of you moved in with her! My that has been a while back! I loved the picture of her in the park having a good time. Puts a smile on my face. I only wish she would remember me. I have been trying to find her and Keith for a couple of years now. I ask Pam at Cozy's funeral and she didn't know. Tell Keith that Jean Stout now Miller said hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember Alma as I was a child and she was always my favorite lady at church. She used to do alot with our youth group. She is a very special lady, one that I will always hold dear in my heart. She was and is a model Christian woman, a model mother, and the closest to perfect one can be. I am so pleased that she she seems to have another woman such as herself looking out for her. Thank you Lise. Sincerely, Beverly (Stout) Sowards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lise,

    Delighted to see positive and loving comments affirming your lifestyle and your relationships. Also,glad to see your brother's very encouraging note.

    May you,and all of the above have every richest blessing! Like an old broken record: I'm proud of you Lise!!!!

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are what we give..Lise you and your family are doing huge kudos for Almas life..blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everyone and thank you so much for your support and input. I love reading all of this. Some of you said you've been trying to find Alma. We love and welcome visitors. It really means a lot to her even when her reality is off. My e-mail is mamapuja@cox.net Please feel free to e-mail me and we can arrange getting together if you like.

    Thank you all. Lise

    ReplyDelete