Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Busy Bodies


Why is it that at times Alma seems to be completely confused and at other moments, in certain situations, she appears totally fine? I believe this is part of the reason that it took us so long to realize that she really needed full time supervision.

I bring this up because some of our neighbors (also Alma's neighbors) do not seem to understand why we have brought her into our home. Her next door neighbor was particularly candid with his opinion of our decision. It has been almost nine months and he will no longer speak with us. He and his wife felt that she was fine and we should have made our 20 year old daughter move in with her instead. To be fair, I am pretty sure that Alma did not speak highly of us at the time she was living on her own. The caretakers that we hired would often share stories of Alma talking about how we want nothing to do with her (not the case at all-we included her in all family activities and we certainly would not have her living with us if we didn't care). That type of paranoia is normal with dementia. I tried to explain the situation to Mr. V stating that we have, in fact, been taking care of her for over five years and it was our decision to move her over to our neighborhood in the first place. I also explained that we have been managing two households for three years as well as going over there twice a day. We worked hard to keep Alma independent. We believed that, as long as she was safe, her quality of life would be better if she could stay in her own home. Even when she broke her arm, we had her stay with us but had initially thought she would go back home after it healed. It wasn't until she was with us full time that we realized how many of her basic needs had been neglected. She could not prepare food, bathe or dress herself any longer. There was so much I never noticed (or maybe ignored) because I was always frantically trying to maintain my 45-55 hour work week, my children's needs, her home and mine. I had a terrible sense of guilt once I figured out that she could no longer take care of herself. I’m not sure why I had such a need to explain myself to someone who doesn’t really know Alma or our family very well (if he did, he would clearly see that she needs help). All I know is that I was truly bothered when I heard from another neighbor (Alma’s walking buddy) that he was really upset and had been talking to several other neighbors.

My point here is that it has been quite a struggle with our neighbors who think she was functioning fine on her own. Alma is so quiet and many people are drawn to her because they think she is a good listener. She nods at the appropriate time and laughs at their jokes. Many of us are too self-centered to realize that she has no idea what we're talking about most of the time. She knows her name, her date of birth and her address. Sadly, most people don't dig deeper than that and seem to think there is nothing wrong with her until they find her wandering the street at 5 am trying to figure out who the people in her house are (that happened shortly before she moved in). It's amazing to me how well she can present herself most of the time. Sometimes it appears as if she can turn it on and off at just the right moment. I’m not sure why it bothers me so much that there are people out there who disagree with our choices. I suppose my preference would be that they put aside their judgments reach out to Alma if they are so concerned for her welfare.  Perhaps, when the weather turns warmer, I can invite her neighborhood friends over to visit her. The truth is that these neighbors are not simply busy bodies with nothing better to do than judge us. They are caring people who have gotten to know Alma over the last several years and "neighborly" thing to do would be open my home to them.  We obviously share a common sense of wanting what is best for Alma and it seems that it would be in her best interest to benefit from such supportive and loving relationships.

5 comments:

  1. HOW SAD WHEN OTHERS CAN BE SO JUDGEMENTAL WITHOUT KNOWING THE FULL STORY. IT IS VERY EASY TO GIVE OPINIONS AND THEN WALK AWAY. IT IS QUITE DIFFERENT WHEN YOU LIVE WITH A SITUATION 24/7. AS YOU SAID SO APPROPRIATELY, TAKE SOMEONE WHO ACTS NORMALLY MANY TIMES COUPLED WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE SO PREOCCUPIED WITH THEIR OWN LIVES, IT IS VERY EASY TO MISS WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON UNTIL YOU LIVE WITH IT.YOUR INSIGHTS ARE WONDERFUL AS ALWAYS. THANKS FOR SHARING.
    PERHAPS THE IDEA OF INVITING PEOPLE OVER WOULD BE GOOD. I WOULD HAVE A TENDENCY AT FIRST TO BE VERY SELECTIVE; PUT A TIME LIMIT ON IT AND NOT HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE OVER AT ONCE.
    KEEP SHARING, YOU ARE IN MY HEART CONSTANTLY.
    BLESSING AND LOVE,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I think just a little outdoor gathering but nothing to overwhelm. I love throwing parties and I need to remember to restrain myself. Thanks for your always helpful words of wisdom. Love you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding my two cents to Jo's:

    When you think of it,"jealousy is a compliment in disguise". Envious jerks have no idea they are giving a reverse compliment;that's why I call them "Boostri".

    Another point: I read a long time ago that one finds friends by being a friend. That's you,my daughter,and I am very proud of you as you give ultimate friendship and unconditional love to Alma.

    I love you,Lise & Jo feels the same.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Thinking of you.

    "Only after many trials for strength,only when all stimulants fail,does the aspiring soul by its own sheer power find the divine by resting upon itself.” --Edgar Lee Masters, poet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put...thanks for that quote

    ReplyDelete