Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Adding insult to injury

I realize that I haven't really been keeping up with the whole purpose here and that was to chart daily behaviors. I am feeling a bit sensitive because I know that there are friends and family of Alma's reading this and I don't want to sound so fatalistic. That being said, the reality here is that this is a degenerative condition and there are more negatives than postives to report on a daily basis. I want to keep all of this real.

We just got back from our walk and I set Alma off again. I try to see if she can find our house on her own. Most of the time she brings us to the right house. Today, she kept walking so I decided that we would just continue down to the cul de sac and then turn around and maybe we'd have better luck from that direction. When we got near the house, I asked her to take me to our house. She wanted to take me to her house across the street (this is where she has wanted to be lately). When I pointed out our house and asked if she knew who lived there with her, she started crying and saying that she doesn't know. I realize now that this is the line of questioning that I was talking about earlier. I want to see where she is at on a daily basis and ask her a series of questions. These questions are getting harder for her and she is reacting. Okay okay, no more questions. I get it now. I will record her state through observation only.

Yesterday (I was being way more minimalistic, remember? You'd think I'd stick with that-duh), Alma's good friend, Ann came over. Alma was pretty out of it but in good spirits for the visit. Ann later e-mailed me and stated that this is the first time that she felt that Alma didn't know who she was. I couldn't really tell but I'm sure Ann would know whether or not her close friend   knew who she was. Alma also didn't know who her grandchildren were without some help. Today, as stated previously, Alma doesn't know who lives in our home. She also belives she lives across the street and said something strange. She said, "They said I can't live alone anymore." I asked her who said that and she said it was "management". It's very odd the way her brain is processing information. Overall, what is so hard to watch is that even when she is out of it, she is aware of the fact that she is confused and that seems to be what is torturing her more than anything.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lise,

    In reading your note, I'm a very rich man! What a beautiful attitude of loving honesty! I am so very proud of you and extremely proud to be your Dad!

    With Jo's love & mine..
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. LISE,
    I AGREE THAT THIS DISEASE IS A BUMMER AND TO SOFT SOAP WHAT IS HAPPENING WILL NOT SERVE THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH YOU ARE INTENDING. IT IS WHAT IT IS SADLY AND YOU ARE SHARING FROM THE HEART AND WITH ACURACY.
    KEEP IT UP.
    WE LOVE YOU
    JO

    ReplyDelete