Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tax Man

Yesterday, the reason for packing her bags is to avoid the "tax man". She said she thought "they" are going to come after her. I know this isn't really funny. It must be horrible to feel the government is after you and you have no idea what to do so you have to run and "catch a train". It was a pretty day so I suggested a walk instead (and of course I assured her that we will make sure everything is taken care of). She seemed fine with that as an alternative. Crisis averted-at least for the moment.


So in light of all of that....

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=beatles+taxman

Another temporary distraction:

Is it ironic that Alma likes the movie, 50 First Dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore? Overall, I think it's hilarious at how funny she thinks it is when they are in the brain injury clinic and the patients are having a hard time with memory. Maybe she relates to that one some level.

I am so grateful that putting a movie like that on still works for her, but I have to sit in the room with her and that is hard for me during the day (at least it's not Dr. Phil-I still don't get him). It's the only way she will just chill out for a bit; forget about packing her bags, running from the government or feeling down about all that has been taken from her. Prior to the movie, we went for a walk and she almost walked right out in front of a car on one of the busy cross streets. I had fallen behind because my silly dogs kept stopping (well, she's also way faster than me). I yelled out her name to stop her, the car slammed on their brakes and swerved and she stepped back. As soon as we crossed the road together, making sure to look both ways (something I probably did not need to point out so adamantly), she began to speed up again and started crying. After we got home, I asked what was wrong and she said, "Someone hollered at me.” I explained that it was me and told her what happened. I don't know if she remembered the walk or not. All she said was that she wished the car had hit her. Of course we would never let anything like that happen to her. I told her it was our job to keep her safe and she looked at me as if I was punishing her even more. It must be torture for her and all I can do is look to those rare moments that give her comfort. That being said, I am hopeful about the work by Marc Agrogin, MD and look forward to reading his book (yesterday's post). I love the idea that even dementia patients can be treated for depression. Now we just need to find the right resources.

3 comments:

  1. KEEPING HER SAFE WHILE KEEPING YOUR SANITY HAS TO BE A FULL TIME JOB!! I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW HARD IT HAS TO BE FOR HER AND FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
    PERHAPS THE RESOURCES WILL BE HELPFUL IN GIVING YOU A FRESH PERSPECTIVE AND A REVIEW OF HER MEDS.
    KEEP POSTING AND WE WILL KEEP SUPPORTING YOU.
    LOVE ALWAYS,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo. This has been really kind of a nice way for me to share about Alma. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AGREE; I DON'T FEEL THAT THE MILES SEPARATE US AS MUCH AS I USED TO!!!
    LOVE,
    JO

    ReplyDelete