Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Minimalism

Today Keith has challenged me to take his approach towards his mother. I would go into what we've been through the last couple of days, but there really is nothing new to note. The crying spells continue and Keith and I have a debate over the best way to approach Alma and her sensitive state of being.

Therefore, I have opted to take Keith's approach for one day. He challenged me to take this minimalist approach for several days. I'm going to be realistic and committ to one. If it seems productive and helpful, I will continue. Keith's "hands off" way of dealing with his mom feels counterintuitive to me but that doesn't mean he's wrong. It simply involves doing the bare minimum; a lack of engagement so to speak. "Do not give choices or overly explain things", he says. Give her food at mealtimes and just allow her to be. I'm thinking he sees this as a more enlightened approach with his explaining that he fears I will burn myself out if I keep pouring all of my energy into Alma. However, he also makes another good point that I had not thought of. He shared with me that Alma is simply not used to all of this attention and "input" (a kind way of telling me I'm way overstepping with the micro management-it's totally true. I really am). She has lived alone for 20 years and prior to that was quiet and withdrawn. She just isn't used to having someone take care of her. He said it might be too much stimulation. He may be right so I'm going to try this. More on that later...

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lise,
    You raise some practicable ideas. In my own experience,sometimes a counterintuitive procedure has resulted in my getting a task performed or a goal accomplished. At other times,following a "gut feeling" has helped me to get from "point A" to "point B". Most frequently,listing pro's and con's followed by my consulting with Jo will yield the best results. Therefore,I think that your consultation and partnership with Keith can be positive and rewarding plus keeping you from burn-out which,obviously,you and Keith have discussed.

    Lise,Jo and I are extremely proud of you. Please count on our continuous prayerful and emotional support regardless of how you and Keith handle this...regardless of outcomes. We love you and we send love to Keith, to your daughters,and to anybody who can use a dose of love.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. LISE,
    I AGREE WITH KEITH AND DAD THAT SOMETIMES WE NEED TO STEP BACK, REFLECT AND TRY SOMETHING NEW.
    THAT WAS KIND OF WHAT I WAS SAYING THE OTHER DAY ABOUT BEING MORE REFLECTIVE AND ROGERIAN.
    KEITH RAISES SOME VERY GOOD POINTS. SHE MAY JUST BE OVERWHELMED WITH ALL THE ATTENTION AND WE CAREGIVERS (I CONVICT MYSELF OF THIS) ALWAYS FEEL WE NEED TO DO MORE NOT LESS.
    I REMEMBER THIS FROM TAKING CARE OF NONNIE MANY YEARS AGO.
    PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO. AS ALWAYS LOVE AND PRAYERS GO WITH THIS POST.
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you all are right. It was a much smoother day all the way around. More later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER; MAYBE YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING, AT LEAST FOR NOW. WILL LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE WHEN YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO WRITE.
    LOVE AND MORE
    JO

    ReplyDelete