Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Accountability

It is a bit gloomy here in Roanoke and I think Alma and I need a day at home. Yesterday, we both stayed very busy and this morning she seems a bit tired and out of sorts (more than usual).

It has been brought to my attention (and I am grateful for this) that in sharing some of what Alma shares as her "history" may not be accurate. I've attempted to share it as her recollection and not fact but I don't think that is always clear. I confess that I know very little about this disease. I am writing from the perspective of a lay person and nothing more. It is my understanding (thanks to my anonymous friend who points this out) that with dementia, patients may manifest their reality from numerable sources. For example; something seen on television or heard on the news may enter into their reality and their memories. Therefore, I will try and remember to include this disclaimer with any future postings about Alma's history. I will also admit that I may have presented her memories as somewhat factual out of a personal and selfish need to understand why she has always seemed so unhappy. That is unfair to her family and friends and I apologize for any insensitivity.

I really have nothing else to add at this point other than I do really appreciate when family and friends choose to contact me with concerns and/or support. I have found it very helpful and encouraging. While my original intent here was to document Alma's progression it is also about our experiences with all of this. I have found this blog very helpful with keeping me on track, grounded and accountable. I highly encourage anyone who has any thoughts to either e-mail me or post them openly. The benefit to posting in this public setting is that others may benefit from any additional comments.

1 comment:

  1. I DON'T THINK ANYONE EXPECTS YOUR SHARING TO BE COMPLETELY ACCURATE. I SEE IT MORE AS AN ONGOING GROWTH AND PROGRESSION NOT ONLY OF THE DISEASE PROCESS BUT ALSO OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY'S GROWTH AND ABILITY TO BOND IN DEALING WITH THIS.
    THUS I DON'T SEE A NEED TO APOLOGIZE. YES, FOLKS LIKE ALMA DO HAVE A TENDENCY TO EMBELISH AND "FILL IN THE BLANKS" SO AS TO SEEM PLAUSABLE ESPECIALLY WHEN THEIR MEMORY FAILS THEM. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN OFTEN. IN ANY CASE, DON'T BE SO VERY HARD ON YOURSELF. YOU ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB MIDST DIFFICULT ODDS.
    KEEP SHARING AND WE WILL KEEP LOVING YOU.
    JO (PS E-MAILED YOU AN ARTICLE YOU MIGHT FIND INTERESTING)

    ReplyDelete