Alma

Alma
Alma in College

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ice Cream, You Scream

This morning Alma was in a great mood when she woke up. I took her to Adult Care and they were planning an outing to a pre-school and I had hoped this good mood would last throughout the day (Alma loves small children).  However, when I went to pick her up this afternoon, she was trying to make a break for it. I went in to get her and staff told me she was having a rough afternoon. As we walked out, Alma said, "Thank you, but I will NOT be back!" to the staff. When we got outside she stopped to tell me that someone had told her that she couldn't have her children. She said, "they said I can't take care of them and I need to get to my boys!!!". I assured her that her boys were okay and they are now grown. She insisted that she needs to get a job so she can get them back. She was obviously quite agitated. Knowing that I couldn't reason with her, I took her to get ice cream. I did the same thing last week when she was unhappy there. To be fair, she did ask if I would take her for some "white cold stuff that is really good". The fact that she hardly ever asks for anything makes me feel that these rare requests should be honored when I can. Nonetheless, I wonder if you can start someone who has memory issues on a destructive path towards food addiction. Before I get responses assuring me the importance of good nutrition and healthy comfort measures, I would like to say that I really am joking and do not think that Alma is going to become overly dependant on ice cream. That being said, she ate that ice cream like someone was about to snatch it out of her hands. Maybe she was taking her anger out on that cone. I don't know how she didn't get some kind of brain freeze but she seemed fine. I asked her if she thinks she could win an ice cream eating contest and she seemed excited at the thought. Perhaps I should talk to our friends at Loch Haven Lake about adding ice cream contest to their list of Fourth of July events.

The bottom line here is that Alma doesn't have much that brings her pleasure at this moment. Therefore, I believe that if she wants something, she should have it. She is healthy, eats an excellent (if I may say so myself-well, credit really goes to Keith, our healthy chef) nutirent rich diet that includes fruits and veggies with every meal and she walks at least 2.5 miles a day (that means I walk 2.5 miles a day which is about the most consistent exercise I've had in the last few years-we are trying to build up to 5-Thanks, Alma; my new personal trainer!). Due to the fact that she is constantly on the move and is at low risk for diabetes, I feel that she can have all the cold, creamy goodness she can get her hands on.  I, on the other hand, will have to stick with herbal tea.

5 comments:

  1. SPEAKING AS ONE WHO HAS HAD A FOOD ADDICTION OF ONE FORM OR ANOTHER MY ENTIRE LIFE I DON'T THINK ANY FEARS OF ALMA ABUSING FOOD ARE OF CONCERN AT THIS POINT. AS YOU SAID SHE HAS SUCH FEW THINGS THAT GIVE HER PLEASURE, WHEN SHE ASKS FOR SOMETHING OR IF YOU KNOW IF WIL GIVE HER PLEASURE, WHY NOT!!! )
    GLAD SHE COULD STILL SEE HUMOR IN THE THOUGHT OF THE CONTEST. AT THIS POINT, WHAT EVER WORKS.
    LOVE
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she was serious about that contest!!! I knew you would understand! love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU CAN COUNT ON THE UNDERSTANDING AND THE LOVE!!!
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jo. I love you,dear daughter!

    Always,

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lise,

    I've had to stop eating ice cream and I cannot have it in the refrige. Do you remember when a container would not last the night in our freezer because I was "sleep-walking"? I don't think that Alma has a similar problem. I agree with Jo's profound insight!

    I am very very proud of you!
    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete